Freelancing, hm? (Read 4945 times)
Steve_Hogan
Playground Ghost

It's all just one
big plastic hassle.

Re: Freelancing, hm?
Reply #15 - 02/01/06 at 7:52am

Petite wrote on 02/01/06 at 2:19am:
Jeeze, I had to go and get all inspired, and now it's way past my bedtime.
Oh well. At least this one is not as morose as the others:

http://www.geocities.com/weepingskies/newportraitcopy.jpg

Petite's gradually cheering up!  I like the modeling on the face.

IP Logged
Petite

she's got tofu the
size of texas!

Dallas, tx
Reply #16 - 02/01/06 at 10:30am

Steve_Hogan wrote on 02/01/06 at 7:51am:
 I'd like to try some painterly stuff, but real paint is indeed a pain...expecially mixing colors.  I painted a mural commission in a friend's basement, and the poor bastard's entertainment unit was covered with plastic cups full of colors.  (I was working in tempera)

I think I used tempras back in high school. At least, until I found some that had gotten moldy, and then i was just sort of grossed out.

Man, the paint that I cannot stand is acrylic. It's the whiny child of the paint world. You have to constantly be misting your palette to keep the paint from drying out, and for all your efforts, there's no real satisfying result. It comes out shiny like plastic, unless you get some sort of additive. And then it's still plastic, just sort of matte.
The only time I've ever done anything good with acrylic was on a crazy mixed media piece, when it was all covered over by india ink and charcoal.

Oh, and I'm actually a pretty cheerful person to begin with, but trying to hold a smile when you're drawing your face for a couple of hours is not so easy. Plus, who really smiles at themselves in the mirror?

WWW   IP Logged
Steve_Hogan
Playground Ghost

It's all just one
big plastic hassle.

Reply #17 - 02/01/06 at 11:39am

[quote author=Petite link=1138414071/15#16 date=1138807821]Steve_Hogan wrote on 02/01/06 at 7:51am:

Plus, who really smiles at themselves in the mirror?

Half of Hollywood?

IP Logged
tone

What kinda gas
mileage does this
thing get?

Ithaca, NY
Reply #18 - 02/01/06 at 11:48am

I saw your banner before.  Great atmospheric stuff...hard to believe it was done on a computer.

I've got a copy of an earlier version Painter that came with my tablet that I should play around with.  I'd like to try some painterly stuff, but real paint is indeed a pain...expecially mixing colors.  I painted a mural commission in a friend's basement, and the poor bastard's entertainment unit was covered with plastic cups full of colors.  (I was working in tempera)

Thanks for the kind words, Steve. I wish I could say that its success was the result of my painting skills, but the truth is: it's really more a testament to my Photoshop skills. I think I had over 100 layers in that thing! ...all sorts of little color effects and other ways to build up the texture.  Though I value my ability to work this way, I think I'd still rather be able to just paint it!

You should definitely try Painter out - I would love to see what you could do with it! Just make sure you try the latest version too (Painter IX) because I've heard they ovehauled the paint engine and it's much more responsive than previous versions at high resolution. I also hear there's a new feature that allows you to stroke vector paths with a brush to give the vector art a more natural, organic feel.  That might give you some handy new possibilities for the work you do.

-Tone

Tone votes 'YES' to Animation & Multimedia Design, and 'NO' to early bedtimes. He has a proven track record you can trust.
WWW   IP Logged
tone

What kinda gas
mileage does this
thing get?

Ithaca, NY
Reply #19 - 02/01/06 at 11:51am

Petite wrote on 02/01/06 at 10:30am:
Man, the paint that I cannot stand is acrylic. It's the whiny child of the paint world.

Well, acrylic does have one benefit over oils: you can paint with it and not have the 2-3 month long "drying-period o' dread" - fearing that you'll one day come home and find your cats covered in Burnt Umber and Alizarin Crimson! Smiley

Actually, when I was in college, I took a painting class with a visiting professor from Romania. It turned out he was allergic to turpentine, and insisted that we only use acrylics for the entire semester.  It can be fun if you embrace its strength (fast, permanent drying) and get all crazy with layering.  Plus, it's good for painting random things... like shoes... or classmates...

Petite wrote on 02/01/06 at 10:30am:
Oh, and I'm actually a pretty cheerful person to begin with, but trying to hold a smile when you're drawing your face for a couple of hours is not so easy. Plus, who really smiles at themselves in the mirror?

Just remember... moroseness equals artistic street cred!  Don't get *too* cheery!

-Tone

Tone votes 'YES' to Animation & Multimedia Design, and 'NO' to early bedtimes. He has a proven track record you can trust.
WWW   IP Logged
tone

What kinda gas
mileage does this
thing get?

Ithaca, NY
Reply #20 - 02/01/06 at 11:52am

[quote author=Steve_Hogan link=1138414071/15#17 date=1138811968]Petite wrote on 02/01/06 at 10:30am:

Plus, who really smiles at themselves in the mirror?

Half of Hollywood?

Haha!  And the other half is complaining that the mirror isn't big enough.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve_Hogan
Playground Ghost

It's all just one
big plastic hassle.

Reply #21 - 02/02/06 at 10:46am

tone wrote on 02/01/06 at 11:48am:
You should definitely try Painter out - I would love to see what you could do with it! Just make sure you try the latest version too (Painter IX) because I've heard they ovehauled the paint engine and it's much more responsive than previous versions at high resolution. I also hear there's a new feature that allows you to stroke vector paths with a brush to give the vector art a more natural, organic feel.  That might give you some handy new possibilities for the work you do.

-Tone

I have a copy of Painter Classic (Somewhere) that I got with my tablet.  Painter IX isn't going to happen until my cash flow improves.  (I just spent about the price of a copy getting my car tuned up and re-tired.)

I'm tempted to try out Xara Xtreme sometime.  It does some pretty un-vectorish vector art and is dirt cheap.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print