Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  Home Register HelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Eisenhower Interstate System (Read 4354 times)
Petite

she's got tofu the
size of texas!

Dallas, tx
The Eisenhower Interstate System
02/06/07 at 10:55am

Sweet, now I don't have to look up directions to get to Albuquerque this weekend!

WWW   IP Logged
Rabbit

MSP, MN
Re: The Eisenhower Interstate System
Reply #1 - 02/06/07 at 11:16am

After Minneapolis/St. Paul, 94 runs in to Wisconsin and merges with 90, then it passes through Madison and Milwaukee before heading to Chicago.  I think.

Otherwise, wow!  The Ohio-->Pennsylvania area is rather crowded.

Give me a voice so strong
I can question what I have seen
anomrabbit   IP Logged
billzebub

Mwahaha!

the belly of a whale
Reply #2 - 02/06/07 at 11:21am

You forgot I-26 And Columbia, SC isn't on the 95 corridor. It uses 26 to connect to 95.  Nor is Winston-Salem on 77. Your map is gonna get folks lost. Did you download that from Mapquest or something?

WWW ugirecords billzebub666   IP Logged
yates
Playground Ghost

Sculptronics
Professional

boulder
Reply #3 - 02/06/07 at 2:30pm

The map is not intended for navigational purposes.  For sake of clarity, the diagram omits many smaller highways, such as beltways and spurs, and some of the connecting points may not be 100% accurate.  It's mostly an exercise in conveying information in a stream-lined manner.

WWW   IP Logged
Rabbit

MSP, MN
Reply #4 - 02/06/07 at 2:47pm

yates wrote on 02/06/07 at 2:30pm:
It's mostly an exercise in conveying information in a stream-lined manner.

It definitely succeeds in that respect.  Plus it looks neat (both in the "tidy" and "awesome" respects). Smiley

Give me a voice so strong
I can question what I have seen
anomrabbit   IP Logged
Tuj

Glad that's not my
boat! High fives!

England
Reply #5 - 02/06/07 at 6:45pm

For something that might be considered "filler" (not by me I hasten to add!) this has generated a lot of interest...

And I'd second suggestions over at Comment-Tron that this'd be a cool poster or even shirt design.

IP Logged
yates
Playground Ghost

Sculptronics
Professional

boulder
Reply #6 - 02/07/07 at 3:07pm

Man this is one of the few times I wish I had my old job back, with a 42" HP 5500 sitting behind me.  

I am working out some quotes for posters, and if the math works out, I will attempt to put them up for sale!

WWW   IP Logged
Sentry

Fool of a Took.

Aurora, CO
Reply #7 - 02/07/07 at 5:09pm

Tuj wrote on 02/06/07 at 6:45pm:
For something that might be considered "filler" (not by me I hasten to add!) this has generated a lot of interest...

No doubt.  I even put it up as a bulletin on MySpace (*le shame*) just to share it with folks, and several sent me messages of interest not unlike the ones we've seen here.  Naturally, I pointed them in the direction of Reprographics, so hopefully a few more fans will soon be born.

We're grown ups now, and it's our turn to decide what that means.
WWW AlliterativeAmbiguity AlphaSentauri   IP Logged
yates
Playground Ghost

Sculptronics
Professional

boulder
Reply #8 - 02/07/07 at 6:34pm

I have made some phone calls.  Whattya think?

16"x20" archival print on 35lb. matte paper, signed and dated.

$12 + $4.50 S&H

WWW   IP Logged
yates
Playground Ghost

Sculptronics
Professional

boulder
Reply #9 - 02/07/07 at 10:13pm

WWW   IP Logged
escowles

Reply #10 - 02/08/07 at 6:58am

I know the map isn't supposed to be 100% accurate, but I really think you should correct the southern end of the 15.  It ends in San Diego, not in LA.  The 15 crosses the 10 in Riverside, and doesn't actually meet the 5 until downtown San Diego.

I think there's also room to add the 24, which goes from Chattanooga to Nashville, and then up towards St. Louis, though that's pretty minor compared to the 15.

IP Logged
Atlemar

I smell nice!

Reply #11 - 02/08/07 at 1:50pm

Oh my this is beautiful. I've tried to do something like this and never been able to get the scheme right, so I'm very impressed with how you managed it with the diagonals.

I came here from the Map Room, which explains why I'm about to get all cartogeeky on you.

I-25 ends at I-90 at Gilette. It doesn't go to Montana, much less Canada.

I-65 ends at Gary, Ind., which might as well be Chicago. It doesn't go to Grand Rapids. The Chicago-to-Grand Rapids route is up 94 and then 196. (I used to live in Grand Rapids, so I know it well.)

IP Logged
dmcbride98

I smell nice!

Reply #12 - 02/08/07 at 2:02pm

I would love to see a complete, accurate version in this style.  Hailing from IL, I notice right away I-74,72, 39, and 88 missing, and I-94 continues W from Chicago over to Minneapolis/St. Paul.  And of course the 100's and 200's (I-280, 294, 155, 474, etc)--but those really aren't needed at this scale, since they are mainly bypassing cities.

This is a great concept!

IP Logged
Tuj

Glad that's not my
boat! High fives!

England
Reply #13 - 02/08/07 at 5:10pm

Chris, you'd better put a new comic up... The "The map is great but I-612 doesn't end in precisely the right place" messages are breeding too quickly for the Comment-Tron 7002X to contain! Run! Run!

IP Logged
yates
Playground Ghost

Sculptronics
Professional

boulder
Reply #14 - 02/08/07 at 5:18pm

Tuj wrote on 02/08/07 at 5:10pm:
Chris, you'd better put a new comic up... The "The map is great but I-612 doesn't end in precisely the right place" messages are breeding too quickly for the Comment-Tron 7002X to contain! Run! Run!

HAHAHA - exactly!

This is like the filler that sparked a wildfire.  I have had the most insane day ever.  About an order every five minutes.  Newspapers calling me even.  Why did I not post this years ago???

And yes, being a map geek myself, I do indeed realize there are lots of little errors on the diagram, and yes, when I have a week free someday to just totally geek out on Illustrator, I may make a somewhat more accurate and detailed version.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print